Tuesday 27 February 2018

The Shape of Water

In order to distract myself from the cold I had an early morning viewing of Dead Man. As I sat there on the sofa, wrapped up in my black minky blanket, I noticed I looked and felt an awful lot like Johnny Depp in that film:






Outside of a few standout moment, I think this is currently my least favourite Jim Jarmusch film. While poetic in places, it didn't add up to as much as it could have by the end, but then again, maybe that's the point.

The other film I saw yesterday I will wholeheartedly recommend though: The Shape of Water was pretty darn excellent. Leave it to Del Toro to bring a distinctly European flavour to an American film, keen views may notice some callbacks to Jean-Pierre Jeunet's films, in particular Amélie and Delicatessen, but this film is totally it's own beast. From the title sequence to the credits I was absolutely enraptured by it, it moved at a brisk pace with not a single dull moment. It's funny, violent, charming and surprisingly human - leave it to a monster movie to bring out the humanity of our species.


No comments:

Post a Comment