Sunday 31 January 2021

I Don't Hate Musicals

That was the weekend that was, and for a Sunday in lockdown, it was about as eventful as they come. Went for a little walk in the snow which livened up our usual park walk. I finished up a game I'd been playing (which is always satisfying) and I watched a Woody Allen film that was new to me (been a while since that happened). Everyone Says I Love You is a homage to the musical cinema days of yesteryear. Fred Astaire and the Marx Brothers are all evoked to conjure a warming waves of nostalgia. The vibe of the film just about manages to pardon the forgettable song writing. Allen's cast of characyers are no less enjoyable here but their storylines felt a little more bitty here, probably because screen time was dedicated to the music rather than the characters themselves. Overall it was just charming enough to make me crack a few smiles, Moonstruck carries a similar tone though its probably the superior film.

No comments:

Post a Comment