Saturday 5 June 2021

Emma.

Felt more tired after waking up than when I did last night - worst of all, that feeling persisted throughout the day. First thing's first though, Rebecca and I gave our downstairs cupboard a deep clean in preparation for all the handiwork that's being done soon. Bagged up old paint cans, bits of wood and general other bits of tat and got them all ready for a little trip to the dump tomorrow... After all, we'd rather go to IKEA than the dump, naturally! Bought some nice new bedding there plus a nice new shelf to put above my desk, I'm already dreaming of all the clutter I can relocate there.

Film today was Emma., the 2020 version which hit all the right note for me... at least, after a wonky first 15 minutes which exhibited some unfortunately poor editing. Thankfully, that wasn't indicitive of the whole piece as it really won me over, thanks to it's character's and its tone. Increasingly modern adaptations of Austin's work manage to wring out plenty of their baked in humour, Emma. occasionally dips into pantomime territory, but snapping back the moment it becomes indulgent. Every few minutes I like this film more and more. A cut above standard costume dramas, Emma. has a pulse and genuine passion behind the production which permeates on screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment