Thursday 3 June 2021

Japanese Horror

Inadvertently whittled away my day off while engaging mostly with Japanese horror. I'm currently playing through the new Resident Evil which took Rebecca and me down a very uncomfortable journey of psychological horror, culminating in a monster that I hope I won't see in my dreams tonight.

After lunch I sprawled out on the sofa to watch Woman In The Dunes, really more of a thriller than a horror, but it still kept me on the edge of my seat, especially at the beginning. A schoolteacher with a penchant for bug collecting visits a sandy region, gets carried away with his studies and misses the last bus back home. A local invites him to stay the night with a villager: a woman who lives in a literal crater of sand. Her shack is slowly being engulfed by said sand, every morning more of the floorboards dissapears while the stuff sticks and glistens off the characters like itchy glitter. Fun premise that goes pretty deep in exploring some territories I won't spoil. Maybe a touch too long, but that was the style in the 60's. If you're looking for a breath of fresh air, this is it.


No comments:

Post a Comment