Sunday 11 November 2018

100 Years of Remembrance

Considering I was all by myself today I decided to go out and see Bristol's Remembrance Parade. I've been living here two years and this is the first time I've seen how Bristol do their ceremony, I got there a little earlier than most so I got a really good spot too, I turned around halfway through the proceedings and I noticed it was suddenly packed with people behind me. Fascinating to think that it was 100 years ago today that the Great War ended, I kept trying to put myself in the shoes of anyone back then who were thinking about the future - did they think 2018 would look like it does? It also dawned on me that this is perhaps the first parade where I have been a spectator, previously I was in the Scouts and marched alongside the armed forces, this time though I was a humble civilian.

Once I got home I put on All Quiet on the Western Front, I read the book years ago and loved it so I don't know why I out off watching this one for so long because it was excellent. Considering it came out in 1930 too it was really pushing the envelope, the battle scenes were impressive, the tone and message was undiluted and it even had some shocking violence that I didn't expect to see from a classic Hollywood movie. Don't pass this one up like I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment