Monday 31 August 2020

Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga

Worked from home this Bank Holiday, now I know what Rebecca's life felt like while I was enjoying my furlough holiday. I started off with a few easy jobs, sent a few emails and the like, but since most other people were enjoying a bit of freedom today I ended up having little to do. During my lunch break Mark, Dan and I joined forces online once again to do a bit of space mining and, wow, we had a good time together. 

With no Youth for Europe or Eurovision this year, I'd been feeling a bit out of synch with my body calendar. Thankfully, Netflix's film Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga was here to provide me with all my annual Euro goodness. For the most part anyway. Will Farrel has always been a marmite comedic presence, I've personally never found him hysterical in anything, he's somehow still earned a lot of good will from me. He was one of the lead writers for this film and since he's the main star attached to it it makes sense the movie would get the most milage out of him as possible, often to the film's detriment. The first 15 minutes honestly didn't make a good impression as many joke fell flat. Luckily, Rachel McAdams bounced off Ferrell's character naturally, and their relationship slowly grounded the heart of the film.

Miraculously, the film nailed the Eurovision vibe, I actually couldn't believe how successful the film was in this department. Even the fake Eurovision songs sounded legit which is more impressive the more you think about it. At it's core, the movie works but it feels like it's running a three legged race every step of the way - it never quite manages to combine his individual 'comedic' scenes into the fold of the film. We didn't get a proper Eurovision this year, but I'll gladly take this as a one-off substitute.

No comments:

Post a Comment