Thursday 8 December 2022

Christmas on VHS

I once again dove into the UK TV archives to learn about what was aired during the holidays in 1997. A video tape of many seasonal cartoons shown at the time was made byy parents but has been lost since. Everytime around this time of year I try to piece together what was on that tape, slowly but surely I've managed to track it all down on YouTube. My white whale is still this creepy cartoon version of the Nativity, free if dialogue and drawn in swirling browns. I even found the time slot for it: 4:45pm Christmas Day 1997 (squeezing it in before Count Down on Channel 4). Yet try as I might, I cannot track it down.

One short that I had surpressed came to light today though during my research - a hand drawn version of A Christmas Carol from 1971 which was gorgeous to look at. The artstyle took inspiration from Victorian drawings and the end product is a vintage soot-stained Christmas card. It's also heavy on the disturbing side, leaning into the ghost element of the story. Jacob Marley was horrific, and the children of Ignorance and Want were tough to look at. It warms my core hunting and rewatching these old shorts from my youth - as Christmas is built on traditions, one of mine is stepping back in time through the power of imaginary video tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment