Saturday 17 December 2022

My Fair Lady

Rebecca got a generous end of year bonus and decided to treat the both of us to a cute December lunch out. Little Hollows, the pasta places Rachel works at is a stalwart favorite of ours that we don't visit enough but today was prime time for pasta. It's always good there, but they do like to find ways to outdo themselves. 

Full on pasta, we were craving a long, lazy afternoon/Christmas watch. For too long we discussed watching My Fair Lady and today was finally the day we put it on. I was so excited for a jolly 60's musical, and for the first 90 minutes I was totally on board with it, but the final half really, really soured the experience. It dawned on me that all the characters were dreadful. Everyone got exactly what they wanted, yet still remained to be ghastly people with seriously distorted convictions and sexual politics. If a character has a defining moment of rebellion and announces 'You'll never see me again' you don't then expected them to turn up 6 minutes later with a 1000 watt smile on their face as they're reunited with someone they loathe. A bizarre one for sure, some people adore this film, I'm glad to have finally seen it but it didn't gel with me anywhere near as much as I had hoped.

No comments:

Post a Comment