Thursday 14 December 2023

A Trip to The Dentist

 It's been a long time since I found myself in a dentist's waiting room. So long in fact that I was embarrassed to write my estimated answer in the tiny questionnaire I was asked to do while I waited for my appointment. Over the last few days I noticed that it was suddenly painful for me to rest my jaw as I normally would. One of my front teeth is now butting up against some on my bottom row, gently, but uncomfortably pressing it and bending it back in a nasty way. So now my mouth has no 'default' position, I'm constantly inventing new ways to keep my teeth from touching while also relaxing my jaw. Enter the dentist. I was pleased to discover I remembered all the steps to the dance: get in chair, scooch to the far end, forget how far back the chair eventually tilts and constantly mistime my verbal communication to a moment when an implement is deep in my gob. The dentist didn't have to appraise me long before telling me that braces would be the best way forward. Luckily it sounds like no teeth require extraction, but the price tag and commitment is a lot to take in as I sit vulnerably on the reclining chaise lounge. Since there's no appointments to be made before the New Year, I will grin, bear and consider next steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment