Tuesday 5 December 2023

Sim's Scrooge

Gracious, where is December going? The month is slipping through my fingers and I've barely even thought about gifts to buy people. At least I'm having this thought train now, usually I start panicking a week from now so I have plenty of time to pack a parachute for the inevitable buying jump. Some brainstorming today helped me get ahead of that curve but it had the unintentional side effect of making me feel festive. Keen to steep for a bit longer in that mood I corraled Rebecca into watching Scrooge from 1951 with me - the oldest adaptation of a Christmas Carol we've both seen. Aside from seemingly laying the groundwork for the visual flavour of future film adaptations, this one also has a handful of additions. Christmas Past was elaborated on, giving Scrooge more backstory. Usually I wouldn't get much out of this but the new stuff thankfully didn't feel laboured. It mostly served to change the dynamic between Scrooge and his Nephew which actually worked well. The text is ripe for adaptation and this was simultaneously faithful and refreshing. Just needed Kermit and then it would've been a classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment