Saturday 17 September 2011

Gamefest 2011

Sorry for the lack of a blog post yesterday as I got back rather late after my extras job. Basically we got up rather early and arrived at our rendezvous point at the correct time, an hour later the minibus came to pick us up, any minor annoyance caused by that unnecessary wait was quickly dashed by seeing Robert Webb sneezing in front of us, we are such fanboys. After that we spent a lot of time waiting around, a total of 3 shots were filmed in the time we were there, the last one was a dance scene so if you do go to see The Wedding Video when it comes out in a years time, look carefully for 3 very energetic dancers in the background.

Today I wish Louis a happy Birthday, in celebration we headed off to Gamefest, my first video game convention! Nintendo were easily the most impressive booth we had time to visit, a 20 minute que for Skyward Sword (WOO!) was glorious. We stood behind 2 people who attempted to defeat the boss but failed miserably, when it came to my turn I picked up the reigns of Link and dominated the Demon Lord with ease, impressing many of the people around me; I even got a picture of me with Link outside the booth. Louis was absolutely desperate to see Skyrim since he has been checking their website on a daily basis for any new info, when we found out there was a booth here all for it he jumped at the opportunity. We stood at what we thought was the back of the que until 2 guys pointed out it started much further down, we gingerly stood next to the '2 hours queing time approx' sign. 90 Minutes later we were stood by the front doors and next to a looping trailer reel, showing Prey 2's teaser, Rage's gameplay, Prey 2' debut, Rage's extended TV trailer and Skyrim's gameplay, we saw each one 3 times... Only Skyrim's was any good. When we were finally let into the booth were we sat down on some pillows and told we will be watching a new trailer for their new upcoming game: Prey 2! Hooray, we saw the trailer for the 4th time and then told we would watch an 20 minute gameplay video narrated by Todd Howard (The designer). "Brilliant" I thought, "This will be perfect for Louis, what a great Birthday present!" I turned to him with a big grin on my face, he returned the look with one of melancholy, "I saw this video last night online" he said quietly.

Our souls felt about as empty as the goody bag were given, we stumbled out of the booth and I couldn't help but feel sorry for Louis who was very quiet at this point. I politely offered to fall back on good old Nintendo and suggested a go on the new Mario Kart, he cheered up quickly after that. The 3DS games were pretty good on the whole, the fore mentioned Mario Kart was very good, played just Kart Wii but now it was handheld! Super Mario 3D Land was interesting, wanted to play a little more than what was in the demo but was fairly fun. Kid Icarus: Uprising was pretty sweet but seemed quite challenging upon first playing, maybe a bit of a learning curve for that one. I quickly played MGS3D and the new Resi Evil but found myself dropped in at the deep end with confusing controls and a little bit of a choppy framerate; hopefully it will be ironed out for the final release. Grabbed some food which was rather expensive, one sign boasted '2 soft drinks for only £3,' for an outrageous price like that I'm surprised they bothered to promote that deal.

Louis is writing his angry letter to Bethesda and I am thinking about sleep, goodnight everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment