Monday 22 March 2021

Farewell Mingus

I was biting my tongue for most of today, in between the work calls and various little jobs I had to do my mind kept returning to one thing... my new laptop. I picked it up lunchtime and waiting until I got home this evening to finally boot it up and give it a go and wow... what a difference compared to my old one! Lighting quick everything basically, that what you get after you wait 9 years (1/3rd of my life) to pick up a new laptop.

What ultimately comes when I upgrade to a new piece of tech though is a miniature obituary for my old laptop. Purchased with my first ever paycheck from Eddie Catz back in 2012, my Dell Inspiron was future proof in many ways. I immediately dubbed him 'Mingus', for no other reason other than it sounded like a cool name and Louis had been listening to a lot of Charles Mingus at that time. Mingus carried me through university, I wrote every essay, every script and my entire dissertation on him. In his later years, even after his battery began to fail, I used him to write my YouTube videos and job application forms. So much of my life he's been by my side but now it's time to put him to rest. No doubt I'll keep hold of him (Still got plenty of data to transfer). Mingus has done me nothing less than proud, and saying goodbye to him feels like losing an arm. It's bittersweet moving onto a new laptop for sure, but now that I've tasted the forbidden fruit of an SSD I don't think I'll be going back anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment