Thursday 9 February 2012

3.14159265...

I remember having a bit of a dig at Nosferatu for not being what I thought it would be, today in film however we started analysing it and it has certainly become quite interesting. The DVD has this awesome commentary done by some guy with an amazing voice (a bit like Christopher Lee) and he really provides a useful insight into the film and underlying intrigue. Looking forward to the chance of school being snowed off tomorrow, otherwise I will have to endure a awkward PSHE day with the lower years, I have also heard rumours that we will be checking urine samples in some lessons, the theme is Olympics and were are supposed to test for the drugged wee, don't know if that sounds quite fun or just disgusting.

I rounded off the last of Darren Aronofsky's movies today with his directorial debut: Pi.  The recurring theme of Aronofsky's work is characters clinging onto an obsession or social addiction, in this case it was mathematics, a subject I rarely find myself interested in unless it is done in such a way to capture my imagination, which this film did quite well. The black and white palette can be pretty tough on the eyes and give you a bit of a headache but it definitely puts you into the mindset of the character who gets close to cracking the ultimate code. It has elements of the thriller genre in it as well, keeping you on the edge of your toes and your sanity, Clint Mansell's musical score seals the deal (as always). Not my favourite of  his films, that would be the superb 'The Wrestler' but a short, smart and thrilling ride well worth taking part in.

No comments:

Post a Comment