Thursday 29 August 2019

First Man

Finished up the last of my niggling writing projects today and applied for all the jobs that caught my eye over the past week. Feels a little weird having a clean slate, think I may need to have  big old brainstorming and development session tomorrow, I'm feeling especially motivated after reading Robert Mckee's Story.

Though I heard luke-warm reviews for First Man I decided to check it out with Rebecca this evening Frankly, I think opinions on this film are very unkind because I thought it was absolutely fabulous. So many space films take the fist-pumping approach where they celebrate the leaps of mankind, but this was a measured character study of the often reserved Neil Armstrong. Domestic scenes were sometime just as intense as the turbulent space expeditions. Intimate scenes of Armstrong's home-life highlighted the sacrifices several astronauts had to face during the space-race and Ryan Gosling's guarded performance elegantly captured a man who consistently hid his emotions. Breathtaking and thrilling, First Man is a considerate voyage that captured my attention and my imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment