Thursday 17 October 2019

Joker

The country seemed to be swept up by Joker so I gathered up my Bro, Rachel and Rebecca so we could all go see it tonight.

It's kinda funny, I was totally on board with it for the first 30 minutes, I empathized with the character and their struggles, I was swept up in the music and Phoenix's dancing and it all combined into something entrancing. Then my interest in the film did a complete U-Turn and I daresay I was actually rather bored during most of the second half. It felt like the movie had contractual obligations to remind the audience that they were indeed watching a Batman movie, in turn this created a baggy sub plot that drained focus from the overall story. It's an hour long film drawn out to two and it's a pity because the premise is legitimately interesting and there are flickers of inspiration later on, but you gotta wade through a lot of scenes of Phoenix chuckling into an empty room.

Watch it if you want to make up your own mind about it, for everyone else, I'd recommend watching You Were Never Really Here instead seeing as it is literally everything Joker wasn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment