Sunday 24 May 2020

The Sacrifice

Felt like I hadn't been giving films enough of my attention recently and when I saw I could watch The Sacrifice on Film4 catch up I decided to set an alarm and watch it really early this morning. Turns out I should've stayed in bed. At times, this Russian film feels like a prayer being whispered. Some impressive imagery and extended shots give it a dreamy quality, but the 'stagey' nature of the character interactions pulls you from the film's spell. It's too long, lulls a fair bit and just doesn't quite stick the landing when it comes to conveying its message.

Though the film was a disappointment, meeting up with Louis and Rachel in the park this afternoon was time well spent. We set up picnic blankets at a safe distance and just chatted and soaked up the sun for the afternoon. Perfect day for it too, once we'd all said our lot, it was peaceful just sitting on the hillside, admiring how blue the sky was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment