Sunday 24 October 2021

The French Dispatch

Mum very graciously helped me and Rebecca pick out our perfect Halloween pumpkins, then drew the stencils on for us with our ideal designs. I'm going sugar skull/Day of the Dead while Rebecca is going cat... What else did we expect though.

After Mum left it was cinema time once again, this week, The French Dispatch - Wes Anderson's latest feature. Some of his films I'd put in my all time favorites, while others I think are vastly overrated, no one was happier than me when I left the cinema beaming from ear to ear. This is peak Anderson, it is his asthetic, style and themes realized more faithfully than any of his other works. It's a kaleidoscopic journey of absurdity, but whenever it looks like it's taking the joke too far, it pulls back with pitch perfect sentiment driven by its eclectic characters. While the production design is perhaps some of the best I've ever seen, it's the writing that got me sweapt up. Told from the perspective if multiple journalists, the voice over was introspective and embellished in a way that only a journalist could muster - I secretly love this style and I fell in love with how it committed to its language. The film wears its episodic format elegantly (truthfully, I think this approach suits Anderson well too) and I was surprised that each mini episode maintained a benchmark of quality. There wasn't a standout best story because they were all worthwhile. Most importantly, the film enraptured me, not once did the film break its spell in me - this is one if the highest praises I can offer. If you yearn for something entertaining and eye wateringly beautiful, this is the film for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment