Thursday 28 July 2011

I can't let you do that Dave

I set my alarm for 6 am this morning in preparation for 2001, I thought this Oddessy would be best undertaken at dawn. It was more of an experience than a film, very slow, very musical and there isn't really a narrative, at least not a very conventional one. It was ok, kinda required viewing for a film enthusiast but it is a bit long and a tad non senseical which I don't have an issue with but I can certainly see that some would not enjoy it for this reason. It did have an intermission though, which I felt obliged to take.

Didn't do much else today, have a brief go at painting the house which I was woefully poor at after smearing buttermilk paint all over the windows rather than the walls, fortunatly I got better as I went on and felt like a job well done.

Mark has famously been pestering me to watch Gladiator after my well quoted argument 'I don't like Romans.' Admittedly it was very good, the fight scenes were exciting and the villian was slimy and dislikable while Crowe should be considered a genuine hero and I ultimatly respected him by the end of the film. If Ridley Scott didn't direct it then it could have flopped, it is the atmosphere and mise en scene that he always nails and Gladiator is no exception; I still don't like Romans though...

No comments:

Post a Comment