Tuesday 5 July 2011

One loud, defining crunch later...

Getting up today felt like a great chore, more so than usual as I just didn't want to leave the comfy sanctuary of my bed and face another day of school. I have had no motivation to do anything whatsoever today or for the past week for that matter, I realized that the only thing keeping me going for today was the anticipation of my packed lunch since the beef for my sandwich looked particularly good. Playing card at break time was fun however, I couldn't keep a straight poker face while playing cheat however as I burst out laughing after placing down an 8, masquerading as a 3, this netted me a rather large and over cumbersome hand when I only had a few cards to go.

In the evening I finally got a chance to see 127 hours and being a big fan of Danny Boyle's films I snapped at the chance, putting it bluntly, it is a cinematic experience that is hard to forget. Being based on a true story the film has a much more believable angle despite the seemingly unlikely events that follow, survivor Aron Ralston even deemed it to be a very accurate portrayal of his 5 day ordeal and Boyle clearly brings it to life thanks to his trademark style. Obviously the amputation section deserves a mention, the sequence as a whole is very powerful and sickening at the same time but is not done in such a way to justify graphic violence as it really does put you in a position to consider your actions and emotions if placed in similar circumstances. Its a delirious adventure and something very different to what you would normally see in a cinema or at home, Ebert probably puts it best when saying '(Boyle) has conquered the unfilmable.' 

No comments:

Post a Comment