Wednesday 13 July 2011

Little bit of a wasted trip

Although typically I get Wednesdays off now, I still went into school on the grounds that me and Mark would be attending a meeting about the school radio. We asked our tutor what time the meeting was and it was during Mark's math's lesson which seemed a tad silly so we decided to go speak with the appropriate teacher first thing in the morning. In short, the conversation went like this. 'Hello sir, we came to discuss the radio meeting' (Says I after I embarrassingly attempt to pull open a push door) 'Oh that' says the teacher 'We decided to move that to tomorrow.' I left school very early that day as I had nothing to work on, especially considering I accidentally left my disc of The Evil Dead at home when I could have been analysing the directors commentary.

Spielburg double whammy today: Duel was first, it was very simple and quite tense in places, many shots were pleasing to the eye and that damn truck really gave off a sense of menace, I lent it to Mark shortly after as he is now driving us into school. Temple of Doom was next, although not bad, it was definatly the weakest in the original trilogy thanks to the two extra characters that grated on the nerves throughout the first half and Indy only really stayed in one place throughout the film. Fortunatly it did have that very good minecart sequence and some of the gross-out moments were certainly very creepy and disgusting; I still prefer the Last Crusade however. Unforgiven was the fianl film of the day and possibly the best, I do like to view it as a elegy to the western genre, as so many others do as it practically is the only noteworthy western after the 70's with a few exceptions. ome shots were beautiful and all of the actors were pretty good, Morgan Freeman's character provided an occasional  chuckle and Hackman was pretty brutal at times. Eastwood definatly deserves a nod as well for starting off as a broken down bounty hunter but eventually evolved back into his former self which is very remminicent of his glory days in the Dollars Trilogy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment