Wednesday 20 July 2011

My final free Wednesday

Seeing as it was my last lazy Wednesday I thought I would make it count, sadly I did not live up to that expectation as I really didn't do much. I went to a party in the evening, I was again reminded how crap modern music is and how socially awkward I am in party situations; I've known these people for 4 years but why can I never have a decent conversation with them?

I did manage to complete the Star Wars original trilogy today with Return of the Jedi which was alright, I have learnt what to expect from the series now and I only really watched it because so many of my friends have been pestering me to see it. It did feel like the weakest in the saga as I was getting a little bit bored throughout the extended ending sequence which went on for FAR too long, one redeeming quality: Admiral Ackbar, enough said. In the afternoon I discovered that we did have a copy of A Matter of Life and Death which is supposedly very good, so I gave it a watch and was genuinely very surprised at the calibre of film; for something made in 1946. It just had such an interesting and original story to tell, the concept as a whole is absolutely wonderful and at times provides some delicious dark humour about death and the afterlife. The conversations between Peter and the French 'Conductor' are delightful to the ears and the contrast of colours are very interesting, also prompting the funniest line in the film. I would definitely recommend this one to anyone studying philosophy as it was clearly very sophisticated in tone and context but is still completely accessible to any movie lover.

No comments:

Post a Comment