Tuesday 1 January 2019

Happy New Year 2019!

Happy New Year all! I rung in the New Year once again at a friends house overlooking hundreds of Bristol back gardens. Once the countdown finished there was a panoramic view of all the nearby firework displays going across the city - it was spectacular! Shame I couldn't have spent the morning to recover from a rather late night since I was up to work bright and early today - busy day too!

After work I thought I'd start the year right by watching the latest 'interactive' episode of Black Mirror: Bandersnatch. As a fan of Charlie Brooker, Black Mirror and video games it pains me to say that this really wasn't very good.

There was a fairly good concept in there that was lost amidst a sea of chaff, a lot of which read as a desperate attempt to make the episode appear a lot deeper and darker than it actually needed to be. Its biggest failure however, is its inability to use its interactive format to give anything meaningful to support the narrative. Black Mirror of all shows could have done wonders with this concept, but it somehow simultaneously does too little for it to feel reflexive and too much for it to be coherent.

I was actually quite excited to see this concept expand, I know Netflix are releasing a similar thing for a Stranger Things project,

No comments:

Post a Comment