Thursday 10 January 2019

You Were Never Really Here

Kicked back a bit on my day off and started the script for my next video essay. I wanted to take a look into the representation of parents in games and so far I've come up with some really interesting observations plus some really fun case studies so it should be a good one. Later on I jumped into the car for another driving lesson which was fine, not the smash success of last week but I learnt a few extra bits now so that's always a plus too.

Last week I grew aware of the fact that my film watching quota was rather low so I'm trying to top it up a bit, seeing as Rebecca was out this evening too I found the perfect opportunity to watch You Were Never Really Here which was one of the best things I've seen in a while. You follow an aging hitman on a mission to retrieve a kidnapped young girl. Gritty and minimalist, Lynne Ramsey lets actions speak louder than words, scenes of characters sitting in silence feel just as unnerving as the implied action sequences. Amidst the violence and dark themes, there are occasional moments of serenity and grace which are all backed up by a truly remarkable performance from Joaquin Phoenix. Looking back I could hardly believe they crammed it all into a 80 minute film and I couldn't take my eyes off it for a second.

No comments:

Post a Comment