Thursday 17 January 2019

The Favourite

Drummed up a lot of excitement to go out and see The Favourite this evening and man, it sure was a Yorgos Lanthimos film. Actually that statement does the movie a disservice since there was a lot to like here, the performances are all great and I really enjoyed the fact I was watching a costume drama that felt like it had human characters rather than romanticised historical figures. There was also a healthy amount of poo on the actors faces at times, that paired with the natural/candle lit sets gave the film a gritty sense of realism. It was too long though, I leveled the same criticism at The Lobster and I think both films could have done with some fat trimming as the unique pace of the film does get a bit taxing after a while. It'll make you laugh out loud at times and there's a genuinely interesting love triangle here though and that's more than enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment