Wednesday 11 March 2020

Finger on the Pulse

After making a big old bowl of porridge for Rebecca and myself I glanced at my phone to check some news articles. Rumors about gaming's biggest annual convention (E3) being cancelled due to Coronavirus were spreading like wildfire so I decided to cover it for Sick Critic. During my research for the piece, it became clear that although the event hadn't officially been cancelled, all signs pointed to that being the only outcome. I wrote an article about the cancellation rumors and drafted one for when the event was officially cancelled so all we had to do was press a button to post the article.

An editor however misread my instructions and posted my second article straight away. For just over an hour we were the only website around saying 'E3 Cancelled' before that was a fact. Naturally, we pulled it sharpish once I pointed out the error. Shortly afterwards the event was called off so I worked with the staff to put together an updated article that covered everything, my editors were clearly chuffed with my work though and I gotta admit, I got a buzz from getting the news out quicker than some other outlets.

I went out to meet Jamie in town afterwards, we grabbed a really delicious coffee in a favourite place of mine. If someone told me a coffee could have tasting notes of medjool dates I would've scoffed at them, but after tasting it I was seriously impressed! He came back to see the house afterwards and we played games like old times.

Once he left I decided to just commit and try to beat one of my favourite games of last year (Resident Evil 2) while earning an 'S Rank'. To do that you have to beat the game in under 3 and a half hours, considering my first play-through clocked in at just over 6, I figured I had a real mission ahead of me. So I sprinted past zombies, skipped every cutscene and cursed whenever I went down the wrong hallway, I was on the clock after all. I crossed the finish line with a final time of 2 hours, 22 minutes - I couldn't believe it either. Rebecca was impressed and I was speechless, it was such an adrenaline rush, I could barely sit still afterwards!

Man, what a great day. All the while I felt like I had my finger on the pulse of life. Seeing old friends and smashing personal milestones is a great feeling, just wish everyday was like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment