Wednesday 4 March 2020

Grammar German


Received some peace of mind once I heard my Switch arrived safely in the hands of Nintendo's engineers. They slapped me with a small bill for the repairs and now it's just a matter of time before it comes back to me - just in time for Animal Crossing I hope!

Otherwise I once again relegated myself to my writing cubby to finesse my latest review for Sick Critic. I've submitted it for the editor's to look at, just got their grammatical feedback and I challenged them on one point (long term readers are probably chuckling to themselves because they know from experience that I don't care about grammar most of the time). I always thought that when using a possessive apostrophe on someone's name that ends in 's', for example Chris would be written as " Chris' ". Apparently though, " Chris's " is the correct form. A quick Google confirmed that I've been lied to all my life about this. Even Rebecca, the proof reading queen, was stunned to learn this fact. Please challenge this in the comments if you have strong opinions about this, I think I've gotten to the bottom of it but I'd love to hear other people's thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh grammar! I don't think you are wrong. There is no fixed rule here other than to stick to one and don't change it. My view is that there is a difference between common nouns ending in s and proper nouns ending in s. So Chris' house is correct but you would say e.g. the canvas's size

    ReplyDelete