Wednesday 10 June 2020

Cities of Last Things

Just another day in lockdown. I wanted to take some of the mundanity away by inviting Mark and Dan for a little gaming session, we hadn't done one in a long time so it felt right. Good to hear they were both doing well too, it was Dan's Birthday on Monday and he's taken the whole week off to chill. Looking forward to ramping up the gaming time in the next few weeks with them, a big sale is likely to happen soon and we've all got a game on our radar.

I got a message from my old Uni housemate Lincoln the other day, he suggested I checked out a film on Netflix called Cities of Last Things. I dove into it blind, typically his recommendations are on point but this one was hard to love. In three mini chapters, it tells the story of a man's life in reverse order, starting with middle age and ending in his formative years (imagine Moonlight backwards). It's overly ambitious though because each of the three episodes is told through a different genre, even at the best of times I struggle to think of many films that can successfully juggle multiple genres and this one doesn't nail any of them. It's also bland, so very bland, and when it was all over I didn't really know what the point of it all was, which is so often the hallmark of an underwhelming movie. Maybe Lincoln saw something in it that I missed? Looking forward to our discussion about it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment