Saturday 18 February 2023

Women Talking

 With an entire free Saturday staring us in the face, Rebecca and I decided to head to the Watershed to catch a new film. Women Talking recently released, so we fought through the rain and staked out claim on the last good seats in the house. While the subject matter of the film is entirely commendable and the set up was intriguing, all goodwill gradually drained from me as the dialogue was like wading through treacle. In an attempt for characters to sound deep and profound about religion they just go off in soliloquy, making fuzzy statements that often go on uncommented on by other characters. The narration too was so emphatic it ended up not saying anything at all. The pacing and writing reminded me more of theatre, which I very often don't mind, but here it just made everything feel a little disingenuous. It culminated in a film that means very well (and again, fair play to it for attempting to deal with a sensitive topic), but it was an often exacerbating watch. I wish I enjoyed it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment