Friday 20 January 2012

To save a life...

I had a very short day of school and as I was walking home I decided that I had enough time to watch Schindler's List. I have recently been yearing for a truely excellent film I could get very excited about and I think the film just about hit that mark. I consider it a real triumph and achievement in film-making, just quality in every scene not to mention the raw power of some moments, the Nazi's storming the ghettos is probably my favorite section as I really did forget for a moment that I was watching a film; it felt like a documentary. It really is one of those movies you must see before you die as it will add to you spiritually, if you can forgive the slightly cosumerist ending.

Later on in the evening I sorta waltzed downstairs, looking for another film to watch (I knew I couldn't really top what I'd seen before) Unfortunatly Mum saw me eyeing up the movies and suggested we should watch one of her favorite movies: Green Card. I will admit it had a slightly charming lead with Gerard Depardieu who did give the film some personalitly, Andy Macdowell however seemed stiff in comparison and her character was desperatly boring. The film also did feel a bit padded in places I was looking at my watch throughout the whole of the second half. The film also only follows the two main characters, there was no sense of real relief from their characters so you just have to put up with their incredibly slow romance. Peter Weir didn't really have enough content to really grab onto here, his other films have been refreashingly original but Green Card doesn't really stand out from any other 90's rom-com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment