Monday 24 June 2019

The Cider House Doesn't Rule

Shot off another job application today with gusto. Followed through on a little writing tip I found, I wrote up my CV and covering letter but before proof reading it, I walked away, did something else (in this case, I went out shopping) and returned to it with a fresh pair of eyes. I was able to be much more objective when it came to double checking that way and reading it back I was even happier with the application than I remembered. Good mental tip for future proof reading.

Louis and I managed to fix up my phone A-OK too, everything is back to how it was plus some new bells and whistles, worth the growing pains and it was nice to flush out my phones system, little detox did it a power of good.

In between running to Louis' house and cooking up a pho for dinner I put on The Cider House Rules to see how it measures up to the book - predictably, it didn't hold a candle to the source material. I actually didn't mind most of the liberties it took with the story but the whole film felt uncomfortably placid. Every scene felt flat somehow, minus some great art direction, there was no depth to any of it to the point where it felt like the actors just turned up to say lines and go home. Wasn't expecting too much out of this one but it still left me feeling undernourished. 

No comments:

Post a Comment