Sunday 9 February 2020

Farewell Flat 40

The howling wind and the downpour of rain served as a kind of pathetic fallacy as I walked to my flat for the very last time. Rebecca and I did the last round of hoovering, replaced all the light bulbs and took one last look at the place we used to call home. For just over three years that flat housed many film screenings, board game nights and hearty dinners for friends and family. Guests would frequently comment on how we managed to turn such a small living space into such a cosy abode, and looking back on it now I realise I may have taken it all for granted. I certainly wasn't expecting to feel such a wave of emotion to closing the door on our flat, but after Rebecca and I said a little 'thank you' to the space I could just about bring myself to shuffle our the building.

It made me think back on the first day we saw the place. Rebecca and I had a few flat viewings prior and we devised a code to silently express if we had a good feeling about a property: We'd squeeze eachother's hand. I was barely in the flat for a few moments before I knew it was the one, I squeezed Rebecca's hand, she did the same and the rest is history. 

I never took many pictures of the place, but I did get a few just before we started packing up just to capture it in its heyday. I post them here not in memoriam, but as a reminder that our new home can be even cosier.







No comments:

Post a Comment