Tuesday 2 August 2011

Welcome to the Caribbean

I've pinched my brother's table fan today to keep me cool in these suddenly warm days and now my eyeballs are starting to dry out. I have no ambition to do much today, I really want to replay GTA 4 but my graphics card is so bad it can barely process it and I wanna do it justice if I'm going to re-do it.

After watching the first hour of Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl, I finally found it fitting to watch the rest. Overall it was fun an ok but some of the gags were a little bit too kiddy, those fell a bit flat but visually it was great and the plot was certainly decent. The skeletons were defiantly a highlight and an original concept, they were very cool and a little bit creepy, also giving some lee-way as for violence without blood for the younger viewers. Not quite enough to inspire me to watch more in the series though, I know they only go downhill form here and I prefer Indy for adventure films.

I also got a chance to see The Tree of Life at the local cinema. It would be easiest to compare it to 2001: a Space Odyssey as it is more of an experience than a film and can't really be seen twice. The visuals were AMAZING, every shot was beautifully constructed and the picture was so crisp that a whisper would damage it...and whispers are one of the things that really harms the movie. Only a few bits of speech are actually audible and the plot is extremely promising for the first hour or so, eventually I and the other audience members lost all sense of time and the film felt like a lifetime had passed... a very VERY slow one. The acting and cinematography are great but the rest of the film just isn't that interesting because it goes on for far too long without anything remotely entertaining happening. It's a shame too, initially I thought it would be an unforgettable movie, I left without such cherished memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment